Ball State University is a well-reputed, public research institute, established in 1918 in Muncie, Indiana. The university was founded by the two Ball Brothers. The University is ranked among the “R2: Doctoral universities” because of the high research activities performed by the students there.
The total estimated student enrollment is 21,597 that is a high student population and the campus is spread over 1,140 acres. University offers a total of 120 undergraduate degree programs. Their mission is to serve humanity and make their students good citizens of the nation.
Ball State University is ranked #248 among the Best Colleges in National Universities. They follow the semester-based academic calendar. BSU is known for providing world-class education in humanities, arts, science, architecture, business, etc.
There are more than 350 different organizations working in the university that includes play clubs, debate organizations, and sports clubs, etc. students are allowed to join any of the groups depending on their interest.
Is Ball State University a good school?
Ball State University is considered to be a good school for students achieving more than average GPA. All the teachers teaching here are nationwide reputed and deliver the best education experience to the students. The university never compromises on the quality and quantity of the educators.
Ball State University is also a part of NCAA 1 sports.
The university is highly selective, having a 77% acceptance rate. Students have to put in some extra effort to get admission to the university.
Ball State University Ranking
According to the 2021 rankings, the university is ranked as;
- Best Online Colleges in America #27 of 326
- Best Colleges for Kinesiology and Physical Therapy in America #113 of 585
- Best College Dorms in America #131 of 1,392
- Best College Food in America #132 of 1,392
- Best Greek Life Colleges in America #140 of 824
- Top Party Schools in America #148 of 1,612
- Best College Athletics in America #178 of 1,422
- Best Colleges for Public Policy in America #179 of 623
- Best Colleges for Performing Arts in America #184 of 555
- Top Public Universities in America #185 of 691
- Best College Campuses in America #192 of 1,419
- Best Colleges for Education in America #220 of 921
- Best Colleges for Criminal Justice in America #238 of 666
- Best Colleges for Accounting and Finance in America #272 of 814
- Best Colleges for Student Athletes in America #278 of 1,400
- Best Colleges for Communications in America #279 of 917
- Best Colleges for English in America #295 of 890
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #308 of 1,612
- Colleges with the Best Professors in America #317 of 1,624
- Best Colleges for Business in America #400 of 1,223
- Best Test Optional Colleges in America #466 of 1,535
- Best Colleges in America #491 of 1,652
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #503 of 1,653
- Best Value Colleges in America #598 of 1,601
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #773 of 854
- Hardest Colleges to Get Into in America #884 of 1,702
- Best Online Colleges in Indiana #1 of 7
- Top Party Schools in Indiana #3 of 41
- Best Greek Life Colleges in Indiana #3 of 19
- Top Public Universities in Indiana #3 of 14
- Best College Athletics in Indiana #5 of 38
- Best College Food in Indiana #5 of 35
- Best College Campuses in Indiana #6 of 36
- Best Colleges for Student Athletes in Indiana #7 of 38
- Best Colleges for Accounting and Finance in Indiana #7 of 23
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Indiana #8 of 41
- Best College Dorms in Indiana #8 of 36
- Best Colleges for Education in Indiana #8 of 28
- Best Colleges for Communications in Indiana #9 of 26
- Best Colleges for English in Indiana #9 of 22
- Best Colleges for Business in Indiana #10 of 32
- Colleges with the Best Professors in Indiana #12 of 41
- Best Colleges in Indiana #14 of 41
- Best Test Optional Colleges in Indiana #14 of 40
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Indiana #17 of 41
- Best Value Colleges in Indiana #19 of 39
- Hardest Colleges to Get Into in Indiana #24 of 43
- Most Diverse Colleges in Indiana #28 of 42
- Most Conservative Colleges in Indiana #29 of 31
The estimated number of undergraduate students studying in the university is 21,597 of which 65% are male and 35% are female students. There is a university-provided residence in which a total of 22% of students resides whereas 77% of them are residing off-campus.
Ball State University is part of NCAA I.
The student-teacher ratio is 14:1 and each class has no more than 20- students. Student satisfaction is 79% at the university. They also offer online degree programs and evening programs for the facility of their students.
|TOTAL ENROLLMENT||LIVE ON-CAMPUS||ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION|
Students life stats
Ball State University offers some great opportunities to its students. Students can earn while studying because of their career-oriented syllabus. At the end of the course, they can earn a handsome amount.
They want their students to grow spiritually and provide all the world-class facilities to their students. There is a campus security system that remains active all the time. There is 24/7 vehicle patrol, lighted pathways, late-night transport services, etc.
Alcohol is prohibited on the college premises. The campus is well renowned for its active, healthy, and sound students who are determined to take difficult steps in life.
There is a library and museum for the students that assist them in their research work.
|On-Campus Housing Available||YES|
|Freshmen Required to Live on Campus||NO|
|Freshmen Live On-Camps||N/A|
|Undergrads in College Housing||43%|
|Average Housing Cost||$4,742 / year|
|Religious affiliation||Not applicable|
|Offer medical degree||Yes|
|Dormitory Capacity||Campus Housing Facilities Provided|
Students can get all the facilities from this college. They can learn online if they are not able to attend classes. They can get financial aid and student loans to pursue their education. There is a medical facility for the students of a Ball State University.
Students can take part in many college-provided sports. They also grant athletic financial aid to students.
|Housing||Women-only housing, Co-ed housing, Disabled housing|
General Admission Information
|Open Admission Policy||Yes|
|Undergraduate Application Fees||%60|
|Graduate Application Fees||$60|
|Credits Accepted||Dual Credits, Credits for Life Experiences, Advanced placement (AP) Credits|
|Degrees Offered||1 Year Certificate, 2 Year Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Post-Bachelor Certificate, Master, Post-Master Certificate, Doctorate (Professional Practice)|
Ball State University Out-of-State Tuition
Ball State University out of state tuition fees for undergraduate is $27,132 and for graduate degrees is $26,204. The living cost however is a bit higher than the last year for the off-campus residence. The university’s off-state tuition and fees are higher than the other universities.
Tuition and fees may vary at the time of admission.
Ball State University Acceptance Rate
The acceptance rate of Ball State University is 77% which is low as compared to the other universities so, it is not easy to take admission to this institute. Students have to do some extra effort to get admission.
If the students have an SAT score of approximately 1080-1240, or an ACT score of 20-24, probably have a chance to get admission
SAT Range 1080-1240
|Students Submitting SAT||59%|
ACT Range 20-24
|Students Submitting ACT||40%|
2021 Tuition and Fees
The tuition and fee for undergraduate and graduate students are different. The tuition and fees are a bit lower than the other universities. Students receive different types of aids that are sufficient enough to pay the tuition and fees of the university.
Undergraduate Tuition & Fees
For the year 2021 – 2022 the average tuition and fees for the undergraduate student are $10,492 and for out-state students, the tuition fees are $30,361. The tuition and fee are increased to 5.03% as compared to the previous year. The admission cost may change from time to time, there is not any fixed fee.
|Year||In-State||Out-of-State||On-Campus Room & Board, Other Expenses|
|Change % 2020-2021||5.03%||15.86%||-0.38%|
Graduate Tuition & Fees
For the year 2021 – 2022 the average tuition and fees for the undergraduate student are $10,492 and for out-state students, the tuition fees are $30,361.The fees have been increased by 5.03% as compared to the previous year. The admission cost may change from time to time, there is not any fixed fee.
|Year||In-State||Out-of-State||On-Campus Room & Board, Other Expenses|
|Change % 2020-2021||5.03%||15.86%||-0.38%|
Tuition Per Credit Hour
Students who want to take some extra credit hours due to some reasons can check the table given below:
Ball State University all programs and Majors
Ball State University all degree programs and majors are given below in the table:
|Animation, Video Graphics and Special Effects||✔|
|Commercial and Advertising Art||✔|
|Drama and Theatre Production||✔|
|Fashion and Apparel Design||✔|
|Music Theory and Composition||✔|
|Fashion and Apparel Merchandising||✔|
|Hospitality and Tourism Management||✔|
|Management Sciences and Information Systems||✔|
|Sport and Fitness Management||✔|
|Adult and Continuing Education||✔|
|Art Teacher Education||✔|
|Business Teacher Education||✔|
|Early Childhood Education||✔|
|English and Speech Teacher Education||✔|
|Kindergarten and Preschool Education||✔|
|Mathematics Teacher Education||✔|
|Music Teacher Education||✔|
|Science Teacher Education||✔|
|Social Studies Teacher Education||✔|
|Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition||✔|
|Foods, Nutrition, and Wellness Studies||✔|
|Health Service Preparatory Studies||✔|
|Kinesiology and Exercise Science||✔|
|Medical Laboratory Technician||✔|
|Nuclear Medical Technician||✔||✔|
|Nursing Science, Education, and Practice||✔|
|Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences||✔|
|Respiratory Care Therapy||✔|
|Chinese Language and Literature||✔|
|Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia||✔|
|Family Studies and Consumer Sciences||✔|
|French Language and Literature||✔|
|German Language and Literature||✔|
|Japanese Language and Literature||✔|
|Latin and Ancient Greek Studies||✔|
|Liberal Arts and Humanities||✔||✔|
|Music History and Literature||✔|
|Political Science and Government||✔|
|Social Work and Youth Services||✔|
|Spanish Language and Literature||✔|
|Criminal Justice and Safety Studies||✔||✔|
Science, Technology, and Math
|Astronomy and Astrophysics||✔|
|Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology||✔|
|Environmental Architecture and Design||✔|
|Geology and Earth Science||✔|
Trades and Personal Services
|Apparel and Textile Science||✔|
|Business Support Services||✔||✔|
|Computer Engineering Technician||✔|
|Drafting and Design (CAD/CADD)||✔|
|Manufacturing Engineering Technician||✔|
|Professional Diver and Instructor||✔|
|Recording Arts Technician||✔|
A total of 69% of students receive need-based financial aids depending on the family income. These aids include:
- Need-based aids
- Pell grant
- Federal students loan
The average amount spent on these aids is $10,960. Students can enroll themselves in any of the grants.
|Type of Aid||Number Receiving Aid||Percent Receiving Aid||Total Amount of Aid Received||Average Amount of Aid Received|
|Grant Or Scholarship||11,705||69%||$128,286,774||$10,960|
|Federal Student Loan||9,650||57%||$69,411,770||$7,193|
Ball State University is a public Land grand research institute providing quality education since 1918. Their job-oriented course helps students to continue their careers while studying in college. The faculty here is well-trained and well-reputed nationwide. The student-teacher ratio is 14:1 that is beneficial not only for the teachers but also for students.
Teachers incorporate the skills in the students that make them good citizens. The financial aid plans are very helpful for the students to pursue their education without any hassle or financial crisis.
The acceptance rate of the university is very low, which means that it’s not a piece of cake to take admission to this university. Students have to take some extra efforts to get admission to this university.