Montclair State University is a well-reputed, public research institute, established in 1908 in MONTCLAIR, NJ. The University is ranked among the “R2: Doctoral universities” because of the high research activities performed by the students there.
The total estimated student enrollment is 16,374 in 2020 that is a high student population and the campus is spread over 486 acres. University offers a total of 300 undergraduate degree programs. Their mission is to serve humanity and make their students good citizens of the nation.
Montclair State University is ranked #179 among the Best Colleges in National Universities. They follow the semester-based academic calendar. MSU is known for providing world-class education in humanities, arts, science, architecture, business, etc.
There are more than 350 different organizations working in the university that includes play clubs, debate organizations, and sports clubs, etc. students are allowed to join any of the groups depending on their interest.
Is Montclair State University a good school?
Montclair State University is considered to be a good school for students achieving more than average GPA. All the teachers teaching here are nationwide reputed and deliver the best education experience to the students. The university never compromises on the quality and quantity of the educators.
Montclair State University is also a part of NCAA III sports in the New Jersey Athletic Conference.
The university is highly selective, having a 76% acceptance rate. Students have to put in some extra effort to get admission to the university.
Montclair State University Ranking
According to the 2021 rankings, the university is ranked as;
- Best Hispanic-Serving Institutions in America #36 of 356
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #63 of 849
- Top Public Universities in America #163 of 691
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #247 of 1,616
- Best Colleges for Anthropology and Sociology in America #275 of 759
- Best Colleges for History in America #278 of 899
- Best College Locations in America #286 of 1,634
- Best Colleges for Math in America #301 of 772
- Best Colleges for Psychology in America #306 of 1,100
- Best Colleges that Accept the Common App in America #313 of 685
- Best Colleges for English in America #326 of 890
- Best College Campuses in America #421 of 1,419
- Best Test Optional Colleges in America #426 of 1,535
- Best Value Colleges in America #437 of 1,601
- Best Colleges in America #450 of 1,652
- Colleges with the Best Professors in America #495 of 1,624
- Best College Food in America #553 of 1,392
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #571 of 1,653
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #592 of 1,612
- Best College Dorms in America #604 of 1,392
- Best Colleges for Student Athletes in America #620 of 1,400
- Top Party Schools in America #670 of 1,612
- Best College Athletics in America #704 of 1,422
- Safest College Campuses in America #809 of 1,387
New Jersey Ranking
- Best College Locations in New Jersey #2 of 28
- Most Liberal Colleges in New Jersey #2 of 21
- Best College Campuses in New Jersey #4 of 27
- Best College Dorms in New Jersey #5 of 27
- Best Colleges for Psychology in New Jersey #5 of 24
- Best College Food in New Jersey #6 of 27
- Top Public Universities in New Jersey #6 of 12
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in New Jersey #7 of 28
- Best Colleges for English in New Jerse #7 of 22
- Best Colleges for History in New Jersey #7 of 22
- Best Colleges that Accept the Common App in New Jersey #8 of 23
- Best Colleges in New Jersey #10 of 28
- Best Test Optional Colleges in New Jersey #10 of 28
- Best College Athletics in New Jersey #11 of 28
- Colleges with the Best Academics in New Jersey #11 of 28
- Colleges with the Best Professors in New Jersey #11 of 28
- Best Colleges for Student Athletes in New Jersey #11 of 27
- Most Diverse Colleges in New Jersey #11 of 26
- Best Colleges in New Jersey #12 of 28
- Top Party Schools in New Jersey #14 of 28
- Safest College Campuses in New Jersey #18 of 28
New York City Area
- Best Colleges in New York City Area #29 of 90
- Best Value Colleges in New York City Area #31 of 85
Montclair State University – Acceptance Rate
Montclair university has an acceptance rate of 76% that is a bit lower as compared to other private universities. Students who want to take admission to this university must have an SAT score of 990-1180. It’s not a piece of cake to take admission here so students must have a solid educational background and could be able to pass the SAT and ACT.
Given below is the average score of SAT and ACT to take admission:
- SAT Range 990-1180
- SAT Reading 500-600
- SAT Math 490-580
- Students Submitting SAT 44%
- ACT Range No data available
- ACT English No data available
- ACT Math No data available
- ACT Writing No data available
- Students Submitting ACT 0%
Montclair State University – GPA requirements
Montclair State University considers various factors in looking into an admission application. The most significant of these elements are the understudies’ scholastic execution in secondary school, especially the understudy’s secondary school GPA and the meticulousness of the courses taken.
Different elements considered in the comprehensive audit process include solid letters of a proposal from educators or potentially guides; an elegantly composed, smart confirmations exposition; a pledge to extra-curricular commitment (for instance, local area administration, authority in understudy associations and games, execution, and creative exercises, and low maintenance work); and state-sanctioned grades.
Every application for admission to Montclair State University is surveyed independently, and the affirmations interaction is a cutthroat one. Every choice is made inside the setting of the entire candidate pool and the number of spots accessible in our approaching class.
Candidates for confirmation are relied upon to finish at least 16 units of school preliminary coursework as follows:
- Four units of English.
- Three units of science (counting Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra II).
- Two units of a similar unknown dialect.
- Two units of a research center science.
- Two units of sociologies.
- Three extra units in any of the branches of knowledge above.
Understudies are perceived in the affirmations cycle for seeking after a difficult educational program past the base needed, for instance:
- Science past Algebra II.
- Lab science past science.
- A third or fourth year of an unknown dialect.
- Progressed Placement courses.
- honors courses.
Our most grounded contender for affirmation has a 3.2 or higher aggregate secondary school GPA on an un-weighted, 4.0 scale, a difficult course grouping (especially in the lesser and senior years), and a balanced extra-curricular resume. Accommodation of SAT or ACT scores isn’t needed, be that as it may, in case an understudy decides to present those scores, the scores will be considered in the confirmations interaction.
|High School GPA||Required|
|High School Rank||Considered but not required|
|High School Transcript||Required|
|College Prep Courses||Required|
Montclair State University – Accreditation
Montclair State University is licensed by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). Schools and colleges apply for accreditation and, once licensed, should stick to the principles of value and respectability set out by their certifying association. In the MSCHE, this incorporates norms for understudy learning results and functional conduct.
Accreditation assumes an essential part in building up and keeping up with our believability as a foundation of higher learning and in maintaining the public trust.
The estimated number of undergraduate students studying in the university is 21,005 by 2020 of which 38% are male and 62% are female students. There is a university-provided residence in which a total of 22% of students reside whereas 77% of them are residing off-campus.
Montclair State University is part of NCAA III.
The student-teacher ratio is 17:1 and each class has no more than 20- students. Student satisfaction is 79% at the university. They also offer online degree programs and evening programs for the facility of their students.
|TOTAL ENROLLMENT||LIVE ON-CAMPUS||ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION|
Montclair State University offers some great opportunities to its students. Students can earn while studying because of their career-oriented syllabus. At the end of the course, they can earn a handsome amount.
They want their students to grow spiritually and provide all the world-class facilities to their students. There is a campus security system that remains active all the time. There is 24/7 vehicle patrol, lighted pathways, late-night transport services, etc.
Alcohol is prohibited on the college premises. The campus is well renowned for its active, healthy, and sound students who are determined to take difficult steps in life.
There is a library and museum for the students that assist them in their research work.
|On-Campus Housing Available||Yes|
|Freshmen Required to Live on Campus||No|
|Freshmen Live On-Campus||N/A|
|Undergrads in College Housing||32%|
|Average Housing Cost||$11,084/ year|
|Religious affiliation||Not applicable|
|Offer medical degree||Yes|
|Dormitory Capacity||Campus Housing Facilities Provided|
Students can get all the facilities from this college. They can learn online if they are not able to attend classes. They can get financial aid and student loans to pursue their education. There is a medical facility for the students of Montclair State University.
Students can take part in many college-provided sports. They also grant athletic financial aid to students.
|Housing||Women-only housing, Co-ed housing, Disabled housing|
General Admission Information
|Open Admission Policy||Yes|
|Undergraduate Application Fees||%60|
|Graduate Application Fees||$60|
|Credits Accepted||Dual Credits, Credits for Life Experiences, Advanced placement (AP) Credits|
|Degrees Offered||1 Year Certificate, 2 Year Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Post-Bachelor Certificate, Master, Post-Master Certificate, Doctorate (Professional Practice)|
Montclair State University Out-of-State Tuition
Montclair State University out-of-state tuition fees for undergraduate is $21,033 and for graduate degrees is $18,972. The living cost however is the same as the last year for the off-campus residence. The university’s off-state tuition and fees are higher than the other universities.
Tuition and fees may vary at the time of admission.
2021 Tuition and Fees
The tuition and fee for undergraduate and graduate students are different. The tuition and fees are the same as the previous years. Students receive different types of aids that are sufficient enough to pay the tuition and fees of the university.
Undergraduate Tuition & Fees
For the year 2021 – 2022 the average tuition and fees for the undergraduate student are $13,073 and for out-state students, the tuition fees are $21,033. The tuition and fee are the same as compared to the previous year. The admission cost may change from time to time, there is not any fixed fee.
|Year||In-State||Out-of-State||On-Campus Room & Board, Other Expenses|
|Change % 2020-2021||0.00%||0.00%||0.02%|
Graduate Tuition & Fees
For the year 2021 – 2022 the average tuition and fees for the undergraduate student are $13,140 and for out-state students, the tuition fees are $18,972. The fees have been the same as compared to the previous year. The admission cost may change from time to time, there is not any fixed fee.
|Year||In-State||Out-of-State||On-Campus Room & Board, Other Expenses|
|Change % 2020-2021||0.00%||0.00%||0.02%|
Tuition Per Credit Hour
Students who want to take some extra credit hours due to some reasons can check the table given below:
Montclair State University all programs and Majors
Montclair State University all degree programs and majors are given below in the table:
|Cinematography and Video production||✔|
|Design and visual communication||✔|
|Drama and Theatre Production||✔|
|Fashion and Apparel Design||✔|
|Industrial and production Design||✔|
|Park, Recreation and Leisure studies||✔|
|Health Teacher education||✔|
|Physical education teaching and coaching||✔|
|Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition||✔|
|Foods, Nutrition, and Wellness Studies||✔|
|Health Service Preparatory Studies||✔|
|Kinesiology and Exercise Science||✔|
|Medical Laboratory Technician||✔|
|Nuclear Medical Technician||✔||✔|
|Arabic language and literature||✔|
|Family Studies and Consumer Sciences||✔|
|French Language and Literature||✔|
|German Language and Literature||✔|
|Japanese Language and Literature||✔|
|Latin and Ancient Greek Studies||✔|
|Liberal Arts and Humanities||✔||✔|
|Italian language and literature||✔|
|Radio and television||✔|
|Social Work and Youth Services||✔|
|Spanish Language and Literature||✔|
Science, Technology, and Math
|Astronomy and Astrophysics||✔|
|Environmental Architecture and Design||✔|
|Geology and Earth Science||✔|
Trades and Personal Services
|Makeup artist and tattooing||✔|
A total of 45% of students receive need-based financial aids depending on the family income. These aids include:
- Need-based aids
- Pell grant
- Federal students loan
The average amount spent on these aids is $10,960. Students can enroll themselves in any of the grants.
|Type of Aid||Number Receiving Aid||Percent Receiving Aid||Total Amount of Aid Received||Average Amount of Aid Received|
|Grant Or Scholarship||8,962||54%||$83,633,966||$9,332|
|Federal Student Loan||8,593||51%||$56,476,322||$6,572|
Montclair State University is a public Land grand research institute providing quality education since 1908. Their job-oriented course helps students to continue their careers while studying in college. The faculty here is well-trained and well-reputed nationwide. The student-teacher ratio is 17:1, which is beneficial not only for the teachers but also for students.
Teachers incorporate the skills in the students that make them good citizens. The financial aid plans are very helpful for the students to pursue their education without any hassle or financial crisis.
The acceptance rate of the university is a bit low, which means that it’s not a piece of cake to take admission to this university. Students have to take some extra efforts to get admission to this university.