The University of Maryland is a public research institute established in 1856. The university is one of the renowned institutes nationwide. The campus is very populated having an enrollment of 30,511 students. The campus is spread over almost 1335 acres where students come from different corners of the world to get a high-quality education.
They offer more than 200 different degree programs that are reputed worldwide. There is a semester system educational calendar that they follow. According to the latest best colleges in National Universities, it comes on #68.
There are more than 800 different organizations working in this university. These organizations include; debates club, sports societies, religious organizations, etc. students can take part in any organization of their choice.
The university is a part of NCAA Division 1.
Is the University of Maryland a good school?
The University of Maryland is an excellent research university that is recognized worldwide. It is ranked among the 100 best Global universities and comes on #43. The faculty here is reputed nationwide and their curriculum is also based on research activities. Students and teachers work hard to bring revolution in different fields of science.
The university is completely accredited and their degree is acceptable worldwide.
University of Maryland Rankings
According to the 2021 rankings, the university is ranked as follows:
- Best College Athletics in America #10 of 1,422
- Best Colleges for Criminal Justice in America #12 of 666
- Best Colleges for Public Health in America #17 of 245
- Best Colleges for Student Athletes in America #21 of 1,400
- Top Public Universities in America #29 of 691
- Best Big Colleges in America #30 of 128
- Best Colleges for Accounting and Finance in America #35 of 814
- Best Colleges for Computer Science in America #42 of 868
- Best Colleges for Kinesiology and Physical Therapy in America #44 of 585
- Best Colleges for Business in America #45 of 1,223
- Best Colleges for Architecture in America #46 of 156
- Best Colleges for Agricultural Sciences in America #49 of 142
- Best Colleges for Communications in America #51 of 917
- Best Colleges for Physics in America #58 of 462
- Top Party Schools in America #60 of 1,612
- Best Colleges for Public Policy in America #66 of 623
- Best Colleges for Engineering in America #70 of 467
- Best Colleges for Environmental Science in America #71 of 631
- Best Greek Life Colleges in America #72 of 824
- Best Colleges for Political Science in America #74 of 804
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #81 of 1,612
- Best Colleges for Music in America #81 of 274
- Best Colleges for Math in America #82 of 772
- Best Colleges for Global Studies in America #87 of 206
- Best Colleges for Psychology in America #98 of 1,100
- Best Colleges for Education in America #103 of 921
- Best Test Optional Colleges in America #106 of 1,535
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #107 of 1,653
- Best Colleges in America #109 of 1,652
- Best Colleges for Biology in America #111 of 1,079
- Best Value Colleges in America #115 of 1,601
- Best Colleges for English in America #124 of 890
- Best Colleges for Performing Arts in America #125 of 555
- Best Colleges for Economics in America #127 of 586
- Best Colleges for Anthropology and Sociology in America #129 of 759
- Hardest Colleges to Get Into in America #132 of 1,702
- Best Colleges for History in America #141 of 899
- Best Colleges for Philosophy in America #141 of 458
- Best Colleges for Chemistry in America #154 of 651
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #168 of 1,616
- Colleges with the Best Professors in America #174 of 1,624
- Best Colleges for Art in America #176 of 733
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #214 of 849
- Top Party Schools in Maryland #1 of 25
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Maryland #1 of 24
- Best College Athletics in Maryland #1 of 20
- Best Colleges for Student Athletes in Maryland #1 of 20
- Best Colleges for Business in Maryland #1 of 19
- Best Colleges for Communications in Maryland #1 of 14
- Best Colleges for Education in Maryland #1 of 12
- Top Public Universities in Maryland #1 of 12
- Best Colleges for Accounting and Finance in Maryland #1 of 11
- Best Colleges in Maryland #2 of 23
- Best Test Optional Colleges in Maryland #2 of 23
- Best Colleges for Computer Science in Maryland #2 of 21
- Best Colleges for Biology in Maryland #2 of 19
- Best Colleges for Psychology in Maryland #2 of 19
- Best Colleges for Political Science in Maryland #2 of 16
- Best Greek Life Colleges in Maryland #2 of 13
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Maryland #3 of 24
- Best Value Colleges in Maryland #3 of 23
- Best Colleges for English in Maryland #3 of 19
- Best Colleges for History in Maryland #3 of 18
- Best Colleges for Economics in Maryland #3 of 13
- Colleges with the Best Professors in Maryland #4 of 24
- Hardest Colleges to Get Into in Maryland #4 of 24
- Most Diverse Colleges in Maryland #4 of 24
- Most Liberal Colleges in Maryland #6 of 19
Washington, D.C. Area
- Best Value Colleges in Washington, D.C. Area #2 of 16
- Best Colleges in Washington, D.C. Area #3 of 16
University of Maryland Out of State Tuition Fee
The estimated tuition & fees for the undergraduate out-of-state students is $36,891. The tuition & fee rate has not been changed since last year.
If you are not living in the residence provided by the university, then the living cost will cost you a bit more.
|Year||Out-of-State||On-Campus Room & Board, Other Expenses|
|Change % 2020-2021||0.00%||-0.37%|
University of Maryland Acceptance Rate
The University of Maryland has an acceptance rate of 44% and this is an accredited university. The acceptance rate is lower than other public universities so, the students have to work really hard to take admission to the university. Here is a score estimation to get admission to this university:
SAT Range 1280-1470
|Students Submitting SAT||76%|
ACT Range 29-34
|ACT Writing||No data available|
|Students Submitting ACT||24%|
University of Maryland Accreditation
The University of Maryland is fully accredited by the Middle State Commission on Higher Education. There are certain parameters that a university must have to follow to receive accreditation and the accreditation process takes place after every eight years.
University’s performance and activities are monitored for continuous accreditation. If an institute fails to pass the parameters, there are chances that its accreditation may get canceled. So, for maintaining the accreditation, there must be consistency in research, performance, and activities.
The estimated number of undergraduate students studying in the university is 30,511 of which 52% are male and 48% are female students. 61% of the total students do not live on campus provided residence.
The University of Maryland is part of NCAA I.
The student-teacher ratio is 18:1 and each class has no more than 20- students. Student satisfaction is 79% at the university. They also offer online degree programs and evening programs for the facility of their students.
|TOTAL ENROLLMENT||LIVE ON-CAMPUS||ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION|
The University of Maryland offers some great opportunities to its students. Students can earn while studying because of their career-oriented syllabus. At the end of the course, they can earn a handsome amount.
They want their students to grow spiritually and provide all the world-class facilities to their students. There is a campus security system that remains active all the time. There is 24/7 vehicle patrol, lighted pathways, late-night transport services, etc.
Alcohol is prohibited on the college premises. The campus is well renowned for its active, healthy, and sound students who are determined to take difficult steps in life.
There is a library and museum for the students that assist them in their research work.
|On-Campus Housing Available||Yes|
|Freshmen Required to Live on Campus||No|
|Freshmen Live On-Campus||N/A|
|Undergrads in College Housing||39%|
|Average Housing Cost||$7,755 / year|
|Religious affiliation||Not applicable|
|Offer medical degree||Yes|
|Dormitory Capacity||Campus Housing Facilities Provided|
Students can get all the facilities from this college. They can learn online if they are not able to attend classes. They can get financial aid and student loans to pursue their education. There is a medical facility for the students of UMD.
Students can take part in many college-provided sports. They also grant athletic financial aid to students.
|Housing||Women-only housing, Co-ed housing, Disabled housing|
General Admission Information
|Open Admission Policy||Yes|
|Undergraduate Application Fees||%75|
|Graduate Application Fees||$75|
|Credits Accepted||Dual Credits, Credits for Life Experiences, Advanced placement (AP) Credits|
|Degrees Offered||1 Year Certificate, 2 Year Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Post-Bachelor Certificate, Master, Post-Master Certificate, Doctorate (Professional Practice)|
2021 Tuition and Fees
The tuition and fee for undergraduate and graduate students are different. The tuition and fees are a bit higher than the other universities. Students receive different types of aids that are sufficient enough to pay the tuition and fees of the university.
Undergraduate Tuition & Fees
For the year 2021 – 2022 the average tuition and fees for the undergraduate student are $10,779 and for out-state students, the tuition fees are $36,891. The tuition and fee are decreased by 0.37% as compared to the previous year. The admission cost may change from time to time, there is not any fixed fee.
|Year||In-State||Out-of-State||On-Campus Room & Board, Other Expenses|
|Change % 2020-2021||0.00%||0.00%||-0.37%|
Graduate Tuition & Fees
For the year 2021 – 2022 the average tuition and fees for the undergraduate student are $14,793 and for out-state students, the tuition fees are $30,885.The fees have not been changed. But the admission cost may change from time to time, there is not any fixed fee.
|Year||In-State||Out-of-State||On-Campus Room & Board, Other Expenses|
|Change % 2020-2021||0.00%||0.00%||-0.37%|
Tuition Per Credit Hour
Students who want to take some extra credit hours due to some reasons can check the table given below:
University of Maryland College Park all programs and Majors
|Design and Visual Communications||✔|
|Drama and Theatre Production||✔|
|Fashion and Apparel Design||✔|
|Film and Video Studies||✔|
|Logistics and Supply Chain Management||✔|
|Management Sciences and Information Systems||✔|
|Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies||✔|
|Agricultural Teacher Education||✔|
|Art Teacher Education||✔|
|Business Teacher Education||✔|
|English and Speech Teacher Education||✔|
|Foreign Language Teacher Education||✔|
|Health Teacher Education||✔|
|Kindergarten and Preschool Education||✔|
|Mathematics Teacher Education||✔|
|Middle School Education||✔|
|Music Teacher Education||✔|
|Physical Education Teaching and Coaching||✔|
|Science Teacher Education||✔|
|Social Studies Teacher Education||✔|
|Special Education and Teaching||✔|
|Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition||✔|
|Foods, Nutrition, and Wellness Studies||✔|
|Health Service Preparatory Studies||✔|
|Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences||✔|
|Kinesiology and Exercise Science||✔|
|African American Studies||✔|
|Arabic Language and Literature||✔|
|Chinese Language and Literature||✔|
|East Asian Languages and Literature||✔|
|European and Russian Studies||✔|
|Family and Community Services||✔|
|Family Studies and Consumer Sciences||✔|
|Foreign Languages and Literature||✔|
|French Language and Literature||✔|
|German Language and Literature||✔|
|Italian Language and Literature||✔|
|Japanese Language and Literature||✔|
|Latin American Studies||✔|
|Latin and Ancient Greek Studies||✔|
|Liberal Arts and Humanities||✔|
|Linguistics, Interpretation, and Translation||✔|
|Minority and Ethnic Studies||✔|
|Music History and Literature||✔|
|North American Studies||✔|
|Political Science and Government||✔|
|Public Policy Analysis||✔|
|Radio and Television||✔|
|Russian and Eastern European Languages and Literature||✔|
|Spanish Language and Literature||✔|
|Urban, Community, and Regional Planning||✔|
|Police and Criminal Science||✔|
Science, Technology, and Math
|Animal Sciences and Husbandry||✔|
|Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology||✔|
|Astronomy and Astrophysics||✔|
|Biochemistry and Molecular Biology||✔|
|Botany and Plant Physiology||✔|
|Computational and Applied Mathematics||✔|
|Computer Hardware Engineering||✔|
|Crop and Soil Sciences||✔|
|Ecology and Evolutionary Biology||✔|
|Geology and Earth Science||✔|
|Landscaping and Groundskeeping||✔|
|Natural Resources Conservation and Management||✔|
|Zoology and Entomology||✔|
Trades and Personal Services
|Apparel and Textile Science||✔|
|Restaurant and Food Services Management||✔|
A total of 51% of students receive need-based financial aids depending on the family income. These aids include:
- Need-based aids
- Pell grant
- Federal students loan
The average amount spent on these aids is $9,348. Students can enroll themselves in any of the grants
The University of Maryland is a public research institute providing quality education since 1856. Their job-oriented course helps students to continue their careers while studying in college. The faculty here is well-trained and well-reputed nationwide. The student-teacher ratio is 18:1 that is beneficial not only for the teachers but also for students.
Teachers incorporate the skills in the students that make them good citizens. The financial aid plans are very helpful for the students to pursue their education without any hassle or financial crisis.
The acceptance rate of the university is very low, which means that it’s not a piece of cake to take admission to this university. Students have to make some extra efforts to get admission to this university.